Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Firebird administration GUI tool
Author Lester Caine
Nando Dessena wrote:
> Ernesto,
>
> E> I agree that not having a GUI administration tool is a barrier to newcomers. I think we could do something on that, without disturb the main developers... I for one volunteer to help in the
> E> development of such a tool. I think we should take a look at free tools out there (like ibaccess, ib_sql, etc), evaluate them and decide if start a new one or continue one of them.
> E> Suggestions?
>
> Yep. That someone with a urgent need put down a draft list of
> requirements. Here are mine:
>
> - should work at least on Windows. A plus would be to have it work on
> Linux as well. Having it working on more platforms would be a welcome
> miracle.
>
> - small footprint: it should be included in the Firebird Setup or in a
> "Plus" pack easily available.
>
> - Features: database explorer, SQL editor and capable to run scripts
> (but it could just call ISQL for that). Database create/drop is a
> must. Backup/restore a plus.

There is the firebird-tools list that was set up for just
this purpose, but has not had much support!

I think the main reason IS that there are some very good
free tools already existing and probably a better range of
support than MySQL (well I can try)

Personally I'm using ibWebAdmin for remote monitoring of
many sites, and it meets all the above points :) Only
problem is you need Apache/PHP installed ;)

--
Lester Caine