Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Re: UNICODE_FSS problems
Author Daniel Rail
Hi,

At June 10, 2003, 13:29, janaleman wrote:

>> UNICODE_FSS characters are 3 bytes long, and WIN1252 characters
> are 1
>> byte long. So, basically divide the value above by 3 minus a few
>> bytes. The maximum that I can hit is a length of 80 characters(240
>> bytes), if I create an index on that field.

> I have three columns each varchar(50), I use a 16k page size so
> according to the max index size it shouldnt be a problem,
> unfortunately it is.

Read Sean's response, it clarifies what those numbers are. I wasn't
aware what they were exactly. All I knew was that the maximum length
for a key was 252, but after reading your message I wasn't sure if you
were referring to Firebird or Interbase, and I use Firebird. I hope
that the index key size is increased in FB 2.0.

--
Best regards,
Daniel Rail