Subject RE: [IBDI] Re: New Name for IBConsole fork...
Author Paulo Gaspar
IMO a good compromise would be:
1) Marathon for sophisticated-GUI console;
2) Java Servlet for portable and easy to install console.

Reasons:
1) There is a lot of Delphi know how among FB users and improving on
Marathon would take MUCH LESS effort than building a portable GUI
from scratch. Besides:
- Most developers still use a Windows workstation, even if only
as a 2nd workstation;
- Delphi is getting a bit more portable.
=:o)

2) With a Web interface you only have to do one installation to
benefit any FB developer on your network, but you can install it
on an isolated development computer to.

A proof on how a simple Web based database admin console can be
useful and _very_ popular is phpMyAdmin, implemented in PHP to
manage mySQL databases.
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

Installing Java and Tomcat on Linux, Windows or Mac is trivial.
And you can also install them on a Novel server and on several
other environments.

Just porting phpMyAdmin to Firebird is another alternative. A
port to PostgreSQL already exists.
http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/
In my experience, installing Apache+PHP is trivial enough in
both Linux and Windows (although not as easy as just Tomcat).

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar