Subject Re: [IBDI] Trademarks
Author Paul Reeves
Pavel Císaø wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 18 Apr 2001, at 4:07, Tobias Giesen wrote:
>
> > That would indeed be asking for trouble. I think Firebird doesn't need to
> > conceil its origin, but it should not use the name 'Interbase' in any form
> > of advertising.
>
> How about:
>
> Firebird, the open source relational database evolved from open
> code published at http://sourceforge.net/projects/INTERBASE

The solution to all this is quite simple, and is presented to us by the IPL
itself.

Not only are we not allowed to use InterBase to promote Firebird, we must
acknowledge that Firebird is based on code released under the IPL. With
hindsight the lawyers at (then) Inprise should have called it the Inprise Public
Licence, but it is a bit late for that now.

All we need to do is to ensure that the word InterBase is always followed by
Public Licence.

'FireBird, the open source relational database based upon code released under
the InterBase Public Licence'. That way we don't need to mention Borland (unless
we want to) and neither do we need to provide a link to the original source
(unless we want to).

Paul
--

Paul Reeves