Subject Re: [IBDI] Re: Firebird Logo Suggestion
Author Helen Borrie
Look, regardless of the theories flying about in the bpi newsgroups or individuals' tendency to trust or distrust the weather in Scotts Valley, the constraints on brand-name usage are pronounced in the IPL. We don't need an interpreter. The amendments at the bottom of the IPL say we are not allowed to use the name "InterBase" or "Interbase" as a brandname or as part of a brandname, or to use the name to endorse or promote.

It is preposterous to suggest that implies we can't explain that Firebird was built from the opened source code of InterBase. That's a statement of irrefutable fact, not an endorsement or a promotion. It goes for us or for anyone else who distributes a built version.

Why, for a consideration, we might even agree to let them promote InterBase with "upgradable to Firebird(R)" among its features. :)

Cheers,
Helen

At 07:49 AM 17-04-01 -0700, you wrote:
>It doesn't really matter if they _say_ it is ok or not. They won't
>legally bind themselves, and they can still sue somebody the next
>day. I think a number of people on these lists have already received
>direct and threatening communication from Borlands lawyers.
>
>In other words, I wouldn't trust them whatever they said :)
>
>only my $.02
>
>Kyle
>

>On 17 Apr 2001, at 9:21, Jeff Dodds wrote:
>

> > > That could be true. Borland would, of course, have to weigh up the damage
> > > to its
> > > reputation and standing with the open source community, which it is trying
> > > to woo.
> >
> > Why doesn't somebody just ask Borland what they will allow to be said
> > without getting upset. If they say no mention of InterBase, problem solved.
> > If they say nothing, problem solved since we must assume no mention is
> > allowed. If they say, sure go ahead, problem solved...
> >
> > Just say the word and I'll ask them if you like. I have no previous
> > relationship with Borland and will probably never have one.
> >
> > Jeff

All for Open and Open for All