Subject Re: [IBDI] DEFAULT Values
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:14 PM 23-02-01 +0300, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>As far as I understand, I cannot change DEFAULT value of the existing
>column. 'ALTER TABLE table_name ALTER COLUMN column_name' statement does not
>allow SET DEFAULT syntax, although it is defined by the SQL 92
>specification. 'ALTER DOMAIN domain_name SET DEFAULT' statement changes
>default value for the given domain, but does not affect the existing columns
>based on this domain.
>
>If I'm wrong, please point me what I'm missing. Otherwise, maybe we need
>something to add/change there. Any thoughts?

Well, I don't see how changing the default would give the engine any clue as to what to do about existing values in the column. How would it know which rows which = the old default value were populated from the constraint and which were actual data?

DEFAULT works only on inserts...

Helen

All for Open and Open for All