Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] UTF-8 Everywhere
Author Mark Rotteveel
On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:33:01 -0500, Dalton Calford
<dalton.calford@...> wrote:
> I would agree in regards to UTF8, but I also think the length of SQL
> identifiers needs to be adjusted - ie 31 char identifiers only give 7 to
8
> characters for some character sets.

Although I agree with an extension of the length of identifiers, your
reason is incorrect: the 31 character limits gives you 31 characters in all
languages; internally system identifiers are UNICODE_FSS, which has 3 bytes
per character, so actual storage is 63 bytes for an identifier. I wouldn't
know how you would store only 7 to 8 characters unless your connection
character set is 'wrong'.

Mark