Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Install Firebird without being root.
Author Alex Peshkoff
On 09/26/13 14:26, plinehan@... wrote:

> ---In Firebird-Architect@yahoogroups.com, <firebird-architect@yahoogroups.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 09/26/13 14:03, plinehan@... <mailto:plinehan@...> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to install Firebird on a university machine and us students
> > (unsurprisingly) do not have sysadmin permission (Linux - Debian type).
> >
> > I was able to install PostgreSQL without problems. I just think that it's a
> > shame that there can't be a "--not-root" option when one issuses ./configure
> > with some sort of proviso that it's then up to the person installing to kick off
> > the database server as and when they need it.
> >
> > Just a thought.
>
> > What version do you talk about?
>
> Hi Alex, and thanks for the quick reply.
>
> Version is Firebird-2.5.2.26540-0 - latest as downloaded
> 1hr ago - source distro - ran ./configure --prefix=/mydir/exedir
> make ran fine
> make install failed on non-root issue.
>
> > Versions pre-2.5 really require root to be installed. Probably in 2.5
> > this was kept historically.
>

> So, you are saying that what I've suggested can be done? Could you tell
> me how?

3 points at the first glance.
1. There is a lot of chown commands in firebird install files. They
should not run for non-root install.
2. Firebird can't be registered as a daemon in /etc without root access
rights, i.e. this part of scripts should not run too.
3. And finally you must modify check for root.

> It's also a bit dissapointing that there's no README for noobs
> who just wish to get up and running with a minimum of fuss.

There is doc/README.build.posix.html.
But tell me - what a reason for readme's when you build from tarball
using traditional ./configure && make?
configure certainly has a --help switch.