Subject RE: Re: [Firebird-Architect] Install Firebird without being root.
Author

---In Firebird-Architect@yahoogroups.com, <firebird-architect@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

On 09/26/13 14:03, plinehan@... wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to install Firebird on a university machine and us students
> (unsurprisingly) do not have sysadmin permission (Linux - Debian type).
>
> I was able to install PostgreSQL without problems. I just think that it's a
> shame that there can't be a "--not-root" option when one issuses ./configure
> with some sort of proviso that it's then up to the person installing to kick off
> the database server as and when they need it.
>
> Just a thought.

> What version do you talk about?

Hi Alex, and thanks for the quick reply.

Version is Firebird-2.5.2.26540-0 - latest as downloaded
1hr ago - source distro - ran ./configure --prefix=/mydir/exedir
make ran fine
make install failed on non-root issue.

> Versions pre-2.5 really require root to be installed. Probably in 2.5
> this was kept historically.

So, you are saying that what I've suggested can be done? Could you tell
me how? It's also a bit dissapointing that there's no README for noobs
who just wish to get up and running with a minimum of fuss.

Rgs,

Paul...