Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Compression
Author Thomas Steinmaurer
Jim,

> I have done a study of blob compression. The question was which is
> faster, compressing, writing compressed, reading compressed, and
> decompressing or just writing and reading un compressed.
>
> The results for a first generation Athlon for both zlib and lzw were
> terrible. Jpegs and pdfs are already compressed and were net losses.
> Text cost more to compress and decompress than writing and reading full
> size. Bummer.
>
> A more database friendly compression algorithm that traded compression
> for speed might help, but I don't have a candidate. I have some ideas,
> but no time.

Is NuoDB compressing data before it goes to disk or possibly even more
important in a distributed system when data goes over the network?

Did you have a look on Snappy, Googles compression algorithm used in
their BigTable implementation?

Currently, we are quite happy with it in a Hadoop/HBase prototypical
cluster installation with 8 nodes.

Regards,
Thomas