Subject Re: Additional index kinds like R*Tree for Firebird
Author chris.waldmann
--- In Firebird-Architect@yahoogroups.com, Dimitry Sibiryakov <sd@...> wrote:

> 07.01.2011 14:56, tempo93fr wrote:
> > in fact talking about R*Tree is not only geo based indexing or GIS feature into Firebird.
> >
> > the point is to querying intervals efficiently
>
> Could you provide examples of such queries, please?..
>
> --
> SY, SD.

On internet auction or selling platforms every item can be look at as a point in a multidimensional space. When I am looking for a car with a mileage of 50 000 to 100 000, an age of 2 to 4 years and a price in the range of $10 000 to $20 000, there is already a multidimensional range/interval query.

On low dimensions and few items, the indexing of firebird performs very well, but there is room for performance boost of factor 10 to 100 and even more, if the best fitting index system can be chosen.

By the way, good indexing is one way to good performance, but the design of a query is even more important.

Chris