Subject Re: Does the database 'need' encryption?
Author ettotev
--- In Firebird-Architect@yahoogroups.com, Roman Rokytskyy <roman@...> wrote:

> >And last but not least - most competing products already have these
>
> Sorry, could you please post links to the documentation to those products where the page level encryption and wire protocol encryption are described?
>
> I only know of AES encrypt/decrypt functions in MySQL and the encryption of the field data in Oracle/MS SQL (which use completely different approach)...

Well, one issue is to define "competing products" ;-)

First come to the mind, especially for the embedded model, MS Access and Excel, which do have file level encryption.

MySQL doesn't have file encryption, but does have SSL support:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/secure-connections.html

Same seems to be the case with PostgreSQL:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ssl-tcp.html

Then come MSSQL, which has both:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb934049%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189067%28v=SQL.90%29.aspx