Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Re: database encryption
Author Ann W. Harrison
Roman Rokytskyy wrote:

>> Best handled at the application level then.
>
> Not everything can be encrypted on the application level... How are you
> going to perform the range queries on obfuscated content? What about
> LIKE queries or using SUM function?

Seconding what Roman said, application level encryption disables
almost all of SQL except for equality matches, which is a huge
restriction. Selectively encrypting tables (or fields) at the
database side also disables range retrievals unless someone can
find Dmitri's secure encryption algorithm that preserves ordering.
If someone does spend effort on database side encryption, I hope
it will be page level.

Best regards,

Ann