Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Re: database encryption
Author Jim Starkey
Geoff, this is so staggeringly silly as to qualify you as a prime
candidate for the Firebird "Helen of the Year" award.

AES, like most modern encryption algorithms, is *not* vulnerable to
plaintext attacks or, for that matter, any known practical attacks at
all. AES (special cases of Rindael) are the most studied of encryption
algorithms and the 256 bit version has been certified for US top
secret. The idea that it is susceptible to anything as childish as a
plaintext attack is ludicrous. But, if you have some special insight
into this, I'm sure that National Security Agency and the crypto
community would be all ears.

In a security architecture, the various encryption algorithms are
fungible. It doesn't make any difference to the architecture what block
cipher is used message encryption, what public key system is used for
key exchange, or change secure hash is used for signing or digests.
Whether or not AES has a theoretical attack is no bearing on the
architecture any more than the fact that DES can be broken in 45 minutes.

And, no, a developer doesn't have to understand the crypto to use it,
though he should know that 2048 is divisible by 32. A developer needs
know when to a block cipher or a public key cryptosystem and how to call
functions in a library, but that's about it.