Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Re: database encryption
Author Jim Starkey
This is absurd. Line and database file encryption is a perfectly
reasonable request and well within the state of the art. Throwing a
bunch of bogus objections at it will not make it go away. Yes, on one
hand, a provably secure solution assuming that DNS and the OS have been
successfully hijacked is not feasible, but that isn't necessary.

I suggest there are two basic requirements:

1. Defensible line security to level of AES, including intelligent
use of PKES for key exchange
2. File (page) level encryption to defeat inquiring eyes.

If you want to add certificate based server authentication, fine, but
nobody has asked for it.

The argument that there is nothing between obfuscation and perfect
security is ridiculous. Perfect security is myth, of course. But
practical security that would take a realistic millennium to break is
achievable with relative little work. But it requires thought, which, I
might add, has been remarkably missing in this discussion.