Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Major and Minor ODS Versions
Author Adriano dos Santos Fernandes
Jim Starkey escreveu:
> The point is this: Changing the major ODS version means supporting an
> old engine and should be avoided if at all possible. Most changes can
> and should be handled with the minor ODS version number. But sometimes
> the price of progress is incompatibility, and that's what the major
> version number is for. The architecture is there to hide most of the
> unpleasantness from the user.
This is where I disagree, and think that even a single version number
would be sufficient. I don't think we can say "Oh, this change is
drastic and we can't support your database anymore. Use the other
engine". I think the way is "We support very ancient databases. It's
time to drop the older ones. Use the other engine if you need.".

Adriano