Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Question about limits in fb 2.5 or 3.0
Author Jim Starkey
Leyne, Sean wrote:
> Ann,
>

>> New page sizes are a new ODS anyway - old engines can't handle them.
>>

> Agreed, but a change to 32K would only be a minor ODS change.

Uh, guys, a USHORT can handle 65,532 different values. We are
anticipating pages sizes of 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k, and 64k. Maybe
some clever soul could find a way to represent 7 discrete values in 16
bits. Shouldn't be too hard, particularly since the page header is read
in, what?, two places and written in about as many.

This is not a show stopper problem.

--
Jim Starkey
President, NimbusDB, Inc.