Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] RFC: Improvements to External Tables
Author Alex Peshkov
On Monday 13 October 2008 12:59, Dmitry Yemanov wrote:
> Alex Peshkov wrote:
> >> we should define a plugin interface for external tables and
> >> implement them.
> >
> > Absolutely agreed here.
> > Moving current binary format to such plugin appears also useful.
>
> While I agree about a common interface, I'm not convinced about
> [loadable] plugins. At least definitely not about the legacy (fixed
> length) implementation. Let it be a built-in one.

We should have correct well thought interface for plugins - in that case it
will be no difference is it built-in or loadable plugin. Something like
auto-registering in global var's ctor - it will work in the same way for both
loadable and builtin cases. Ideally same approach should be used for
providers in 3.0 - it's about having single-file fbclient.dll, i.e. with
builtin remote redirector.