Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Re: Strategic Replacement for Services API
Author Jim Starkey
Roman Rokytskyy wrote:

>>Yes, of course. The front end talks to the back end through a socket
>>by exchanging XML. There's no reason to special case localhost.
>>

>Potential security issue - a component that is listening on the
>socket. You will have big problems arguing that it is safe and will
>still loose the publicity. The embedded engine is designed to be
>invisible, so let's keep it invisible

That's just silly and you should know that. Every network connection
starts with a socket. It's what you do after it's connected that makes
the difference.

>Please, reconsider this approach, or at least suggest another
>alternative for backup/restore. Rest of the services are not important
>for embedded server.

I'm sorry you have already decided what is important and what is not,
but I don't understand your objection to backup. Did you miss the
section of authentication, perhaps?

--

Jim Starkey
Netfrastructure, Inc.