Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Database Capabilities
Author Jim Starkey
Dmitry Sibiryakov wrote:

> I think this idea is not good enough. To obtain a database info you
>must be connected to a database first. Personally, I'd like to be
>able to get engine capabilities before connecting or creating
>database.

You obviously have to connect to the database with a connection string
before anything could happen. And if you liked what you saw, you would
then have to reconnect with a proper password. That's two trips through
the connection code, potentially two database startups for what
benefit? A security liability?

The cost of capabilities + attach is much greater than attach +
capabilities, which is the standard case.