Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Re: Record Encoding
Author Jim Starkey
Arno Brinkman wrote:

>Also i would suggest that the compression is not only done on BLOB-data, but on every "large"
>data-block for whatever data-type. If the size of the data-block is bigger than size X then perform
>compression. Why only for BLOBs, i think this shouldn't be dependend on data-type.

That's a good point. I've been thinking about adding a "compression"
code to the data stream encoding stream to indicate that the item
immediately following is compressed with a given compression algorithm,
which allows open ended compression without losing type information.

On a slightly different topic, I'm also considering making the code zero
be a no-op that could be optionally inserted after a string so the
string appears null terminated. A cheap hack, perhaps, but one that
would eliminate the need to copy a string to null terminate it in some
circumstances.