Subject [Firebird-Architect] Re: Create database -> rats' nest
Author Dmitry Yemanov
"Roman Rokytskyy" <rrokytskyy@...> wrote:

> > Agreed here. You may add GRANT CREATE / ATTACH / BACKUP privileges
> > here.
>
> I do not agree here. BACKUP is not yet a priviledge and I do not think
> that it belongs to it.

Why it shouldn't be a privilege? What's wrong with creating a backup
operators group/role instead of giving these persons my dbowner password?

> Sorry, but I believe that this is not correct approach.

I'm not 100% sure in that either ;-) But we need a number of concurrent
suggestions to understand our needs better.

> So, we should either go Borland way, export all sensible data via
> tables where one can use INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements (personally I
> like this approach much more than any other)

Honestly, I don't like the Borland's way. And they don't support
INSERT/DELETE against monitoring tables, only UPDATE of the RDB$STATE column
is allowed. This is not obvious behaviour at all. And this doesn't address
the backup/restore facility in any way.

Dmitry