Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Fine-grained SMP support in Vulcan
Author Jim Starkey
Thomas Steinmaurer wrote:

>Would you mind giving me a short definition what you understand by SMP?

I presume we agree on the definition of SMP -- two more processes
sharing memory and scheduling symmetrically. By SMP friendly, I mean a
system that can effectively utilize the resources effectively.

Firebird classic was designed for clusters (as defined by DEC), which
now exist only on VMS and some research envvironments. Anything that
can run a cluster is just strolling on SMP.

There are distinct downside to classic -- it can thrash under heavy
update load, security enforcement is nil, and you have to trust
application programs not to walk on the lock table and page nubbers. If
you can live with those constraints, it's as SMP friendly as a database
gets.

Vulcan, I hope, gives the benefits of classic without any of the
drawbacks. If you want or need super high bandwidth database access,
you can tweak the configuration files run in classic more or even hybrid.

--

Jim Starkey
Netfrastructure, Inc.