Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Create database -> rats' nest
Author Lester Caine
Jim Starkey wrote:

> Fabricio Araujo wrote:
>
>>>It's not at all clear how you would suggest we connect first to a
>>>server. Are you suggest that drop the strategy of database name string
>>>in favor of separate server and database names?
>>
>>Yes.
>
> That's a rather terse answer. Could you explain how you propose to back
> up a database without identifying the database? You seem quite sure
> about what you don't like. Perhaps you could elaborate on what you do
> like...

Another 'Databaseless' thought (except it isn't)
Having added 'Aliases' ( and even without them ) it would be useful for
some people to do a 'SELECT DATABASE LIST'.
You would then 'switch' to the correct database?
This is probably currently in the realm of the security database, so
perhaps the option is that if *NO* database is specified then the server
defaults to using the security database. The one can do USER management
without having to specifically know where the database is, with the
usual 'loose' rules on security. A 'guest' role perhaps that allows just
the limited access set up for security.fdb?

--
Lester Caine