Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Our MGA vs Oracle/InnoDb's
Author Jim Starkey
beru7 wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I came across this while arguing the pros and cons of different
>RBDMS's and was wondering why others chose to store the different
>versions separately when firebird stores them right in the rows' pages.

Simple answer. If the old version is on the same page as the current
version, there is almost no cost to keeping the old version. No
additional writes are required when the record is modified, only one
page when the record is garbage collected, and no additional pages need
to be read if the old version pointer needs to be followed.

--

Jim Starkey
Netfrastructure, Inc.