Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] XNet and Connect Strings
Author Dmitry Yemanov
"Leyne, Sean" <Sean@...> wrote:

> "IPC" suggests the old local connection mechanism, but XNET is a
> completely different and better implementation.

To be precise, both transports are IPC (inter-process communication)
implementations and both work via the shared memory. The difference is in
the details and in the layering. The one from Borland is known as IPSERVER
code, the newer one is referred to as XNET. We here often used "IPC" to
refer the old implementation, but formally this is not correct. I agree that
some confusion could happen, but I see nothing critical here.

Dmitry