Subject Re[2]: [Firebird-Architect] blobs causes table fragmentation.
Author Dmitry Kuzmenko
Hello, Alexandre!

>> Storing small blobs on page with the record reduces I/O if the
>> blob data is referenced -- and small blobs are more likely to be
>> referenced than large blobs.

AK> And this can be resolved by having BLOB data placed into different table

Yes, everything can be resolved by good database design :-)
But, this is not possible or good to implement. I don't like
to make additional 'blob table' if I know that all my blobs
have size ~8k and none of these will fit at 4K page, I mean
data page.

And I don't like this solution because Oracle was suggesting the
same when they couldn't have more one blob column per table.

AK> if not to take into account slow work at the starting of database,
AK> possibility to keep differently searchable data and BLOBs will give you not
AK> only advantage in maintenance but some improvement in performance.

Thanks.

--
Dmitri Kouzmenko