Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] XML support in database
Author Phil Shrimpton
On Saturday 05 April 2003 23:42, Helen Borrie wrote:

Hi,

> One of the traps I see with locking XML storage into the engine is that we
> get stuck with something that's certain to be deprecated pretty soon, when
> the next wave of *ML becomes the currency of the day.

I agree with this, but I don't think we need to bother with the storage side
of things, as the the current BLOB side of things can handle those needs (it
could be improved, but that would beifit all 'blob' storage).

If what ever was implement to handle _using_ XML in the engine, was plugable,
then when the next big thing comes along, it can be replaced etc.

> Let's blaze the trail, be a Genuinely Modern Database Engine,
> and focus instead on an excellent interface for plugging in optional
> modules.

100%

Phil
--
Linux 2.4.4-4GB
12:21pm up 4:13, 1 user, load average: 0.15, 0.13, 0.10