Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Comparison between Postgresql and Firebird
Author Paul Schmidt
On April 4, 2003 09:18 am, John Chapman wrote:
> Anyone here used both Postgresql (latest version 7.3 preferably)
> against Firebird?

Yes, been a little while, but I think it's fairly recent, version 7.something
anyway...

> As far as I can tell, Postgresql seems to be pretty good, I am just
> starting to play with it. However, Firebird might be better, etc- but I
> want someone who has used both to provide comparisons.

It is, however it does have some problems, but they all do, including the
mucho expensive Oracle.

Postgresql isn't as close to SQL92 standards as Firebird, they often call
things by other names, so the feature is there, but you have to hunt for it.
For example even though stored procedures and triggers exist, they have
different names, and therefore if your supporting multiple engines, you need
very different SQL for Postgresql.

Second issue, if your supporting Windows servers (NT, 2K), you don't want to
go there, most of the Postgresql features are console based, and require a
Unix shell to operate, now this can be accomplished using the Msys package
that works with Mingw, but it requires some Unix knowledge to use.

Paul S