Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] XML
Author Dalton Calford
On the note of XML,

I am far from a expert on the subject, but, I just finished a project that
produced XML output from a interbase 5.6 database.

I was given the format for the output file (headers, formating, headings etc)
I created a stored procedure that read a series of tables and populated a
varchar (1000) result on a line by line basis.

Our users do a select on the stored procedure and get the result they want.

With Firebirds eval feature, and some tables to define the output, (and a
little work) you should be able to make a generic routine to generate XML (or
html, sgml etc) for the end user without any changes to the core engine.

Or, the client could generate the data....

I do not think you would need a UDF or Filter or even any code changes to
implement this (unless you want the whole xml to be put into a blob) , just a
nice little script to be run by users who want that functionality.

best regards

Dalton

PS, I still have those UDF's for people or, if I am upgraded to developer
status, I will put them up myself.