Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Sweep and Garbage Collection
Author Pavel Cisar
Jim,

On 24 Jan 2003 at 9:32, Jim Starkey wrote:

> The worst thing about sweep is explaining it over and over. A
> major requirement for my next database system was to avoid sweep
> in particular and any periodic maintenance in general. I now
> use a scheme in which the database is multi-generational in memory
> but not on disk. Garbage collection still takes place, but all
> that happens in a change in state of a couple of million transistors.

The Netfrastructure uses it, right ? I'm really curious about the impact
of this approach. Well, I expect that it's lightning fast compared to FB,
but how you keep it reliable (hw/sw failure proof) under massive load ? I
suppose that there is a lot of internal bookkeeping to save everything on
commit, but how you manage that to make it reliable in case of failure in
the middle ?

Best regards
Pavel Cisar
http://www.ibphoenix.com