Subject Re: [IB-Architect] SMP
Author Paul Schmidt
Ann:

On 26 Sep 2002 at 10:32, Ann W. Harrison wrote:

> Borland has had a version of InterBase running
> well (according to them) on SMP for some months
> now. Charlie is a clever fellow. He may have
> actually introduced fine grained locking. On
> the other hand, we may have been barking up the
> wrong tree.
>
> Maybe, before we go off and start doing all
> sorts of wild and woolly stuff, we ought to
> be sure that we know what the problem is.

Is it easier to add fine grain locking to SS, or is it easier to Multi-thread CS.
Without looking at the code, it would seem that adding fine grained locking to SS
would be easier, since it's multi-threaded already, then adding threading to CS.
Anybody got a ball-park number as to how many staff-months of development time
it would take, just to deal with the locking?

Paul Schmidt, President
Tricat Technologies
paul@...
www.tricattechnologies.com