Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Bi-Directional cursor support
Author Phil Shrimpton
On Friday 24 May 2002 16:47, you wrote:

Hi,

> But before I reached a conclusion, I would wait for a rebuttal
> from folks that have applications dependent on them.

I used to use them all the time in the period after I moved on from file
based databases, but have since managed to kick the habit (Cigarettes and
alcohol are proving more difficult though)

The main issue with updatable and bi-directional resultsets does not come
come from developers though, it comes from users. For years Users were used
to seeing the whole of a database on a single screen, with nice editable
grids and lists. When they want to find an order, they used a scroll bar on
a list of every order in the system, but when things went Client/Server,
things went a bit pear shaped.

Its taking a while to educate my customers, but no they know that when they
want to 'find a customer' a Account number edit box, zipcode edit box and a
search button is much better and faster than a grid with a scroll bar.

I personally would not mind seeing uni-directional speed improvements
over bi-directional support in Firebird.

Phil

--
Linux 2.4.4-4GB
8:56pm up 1 day, 5:55, 2 users, load average: 0.57, 0.27, 0.14