Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Will this help in SS discussion?
Author Jim Starkey
At 05:30 AM 11/17/2002 -0800, Marius Popa wrote:
>i think it helps all the applications that uses a lots
>
>of threads (jboss,firebird,apache...) .I don't know
>how easy is to debug under linux

That's a simple question. It's impossible to debug multi-threaded
under load on Linux. The fundamental problem is that pthreads
uses signal to wake up other threads, but gdb intercepts all
signals then forwards them to the target process(es). Utterly
hopeless.

That said, MSVC++ works very well under heavy thread load and
has essentially identical thread semantics to pthreads. Since
there is no reason for the Linux and Win32 builds to differ
semantically, heavy debugging can be done on windows with
crumbs caught by post-mortum debugging on Linux. There's a
trick there, so when it come time, give me a buzz.

Jim Starkey