Subject Re: [IB-Architect] RE: Classic vs. superserver (long, very very long)
Author Ann W. Harrison
At 07:54 AM 10/15/2002 -0400, pschmidt@... wrote:

>Wouldn't ripping out BLR be a big ugly job?

Actually no, not particularly. BLR survives only as far
as par.c in jrd. What's being proposed is moving DSQL
one step further into the engine so it produces the same
sort of output as par (parse) or the first phase of cmp
(compile).

> I haven't looked at the current source,
>but I would think that it would mean re-writing the guts.

Nope.

> ... I wonder if maybe we should use the
>current implementations as the source for building a specification
>document on a
>whole new engine, one that use fine grained locking multi-threading, SQL
>as it's
>native language, and runs UDF's in a sandbox. We can keep the SQL syntax,
>and
>disk structure and a good chunk of the API's.

That's an approach. But I think the current code has enough strength
that we can replace bits in place, rather than wholesale.

Regards,

Ann
www.ibphoenix.com
We have answers.