Subject RE: [IB-Architect] RE: Index Selectivity Question (RFC)
Author Leyne, Sean
Joseph,

I'm a little late in my comments...

Personally, given the current and ever dropping cost of hard disk space
the selectivity should always be optimized -- i.e. use the new
structure. The last thing we need to be concerned about is the cost of
hard disk space -- it is speed that most developers ever care about and
certainly the key criteria by which an engine is judged.

Also, remember that IB/FB automatically creates indexes for all foreign
key columns, and it is these indexes which create most (95%+) of the
indexing/performance problems. Accordingly, I don't think that the
developers want to have to add the new "SELECTIVITY" keyword for every
foreign keys column definition to optimize the system's performance.

Sean