Subject RE: [IB-Architect] SQL Date Arithmetic
Author David Schnepper
First off, my memory of the date arithmetic is:

<numeric> - <date> ==> Error
<date> + <date> ==> Error
<date> - <date> ==> Numeric

Similar rules apply for <timestamp> and <time>.

As for the SQL semantics -- are you ready?

Add a new datatype, called <interval>.
with I think a hybrid type that
contains <year to second>.

<date> + <numeric> is, I think, offically unallowed. At best it is
supported but deprecated.
You need to do
<date> + <interval>
where to make the numeric into an interval is something like
cast( <numeric> as Interval(days to days) ).

There are all kinds of special rules.
(Adding 1 month & 1 day to Jan 28th for instance)
(And don't forget the special rules for leap seconds... <sigh>)

All the SQL stuff is from memory -- the spec goes into intense detail
about these types -- I don't
know if anyone has done the reference implementation of them.

Dave