Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Identifier naming woes
Author Ann W. Harrison
At 04:38 PM 5/24/2001 -0400, David Jencks wrote:

>Are you proposing immutable ids and tracking name -- id correspondence?

Yes ... and I'm probably wrong.

>Does this mean if you remove a column from a table you can break lots of
>things that depend on it?
>What specifically?

Views, triggers, & stored procedures appear to be tracked,
and must be deleted before the field can be dropped. Computed
fields cause the following bizarre error message, but do not
allow the field to be dropped.

QLI> alter table x drop x1;
tatement failed, SQLCODE = -104

Invalid request BLR at offset 11
column X1 is not defined in table X

>Clearly we need to keep track of all dependencies somehow.
>
>choices are:
>
>use names, and if name changes update all dependent info,

Sounds right.

Regards,

Ann
www.ibphoenix.com