Subject Re: Identifier naming woes
Author dianeb77@hotmail.com
--- In IB-Architect@y..., "Ann W. Harrison" <aharrison@i...> wrote:
> At 10:48 AM 5/24/2001 -0700, Jason Wharton wrote:
> >In my opinion, the IB6 delimited identifiers were a waste of effort
since
> >they only allowed up to 32 characters and that they didn't do
something more
> >intelligent to handle spaces.

[Aside: If someone were to build an application in which the names of
things are distinguished only by the number of trailing spaces, I
don't think that person would be in a really strong position when it
comes to pointing out design intelligence, or lack thereof ... but
that's a different conversation, and only my personal opinion, of
course :-) ]

> I agree with Jason. However, delimited identifiers are now part of
> SQL and are important to application developers who work with more
> than one database. <...>

I looked at your test results quickly and there do seem to be some odd
things happening, but I also think that some of the results might be a
consequence of SQL string comparison rules. (They bite again?)

As you know, in SQL, when strings that are different lengths are
compared, the shorter string is effectively padded with spaces (so
that it is the same length as the longer string) for the purposes of
the comparison.

Those rules are used in comparing identifier names, as well as in
comparing regular old data strings, as far as I recall.

Cheers,
db
<...>