Subject Re: [IB-Architect] planning the use of blr codes
Author Dalton Calford
Here is a suggestion that would not require BLR changes or new variables
that are non-standard.

It is not perfect so keep the flames low...

A new system view is created. Selecting from the view returns a result
set of multiple rows of two (or more fields).
The two fields are (GLOBALVAR integer, GLOBALVAL varchar(31))

The view is a select from a stored procedure that selects from a
underlying table that holds all the current settings for every user.
(from what roles they have to their current connection information).

The default stored procedure will only select the information that is
for the current user, but a developer could re-write it as neccessary
for any level of security since the stored procedure can read the entire
dynamic table.

When a user starts a transaction, the values are entered into the
dynamic table.
That information needs to be publically viewed, even if the transaction
is not commited. When the transaction finishes /connection is lost, the
appropriate record is removed. Only inserts/selects/deletes are allowed
on the table.

This is dangerous, and I am sure alot more thinking needs to be done for
it, but, it does remove the need to keep playing with BLR when new
global variables are needed. It also would allow a stored procedure to
know who is logged on and for how long.

best regards

Dalton