Subject Re: [IB-Architect] planning the use of blr codes
Author Jim Starkey
At 04:28 PM 4/18/01 -0400, Ann W. Harrison wrote:

>And, of course, there are good reasons for knowing
>the role which have been explained widely. And
>there are legitimate reasons for knowing the transaction,
>having to do with replication. And, for those who
>insist that everyone sign on as SYSDBA, I guess knowing
>the connection is important too. Besides, having lost
>the previous two arguments, I'm already in full retreat.
>
>So, what would the world think of reserving 174 to
>be blr_user_id. That would take a single blr argument
>which would be one of the set
>
> blr_user_transaction
> blr_user_connection
> blr_user_role
>
>where ... would expand as necessary.

Yeah. Although the Interbase role model is a single role
identified at logon, a more useful model is multiple roles,
each of which may be turned on or off during a session.
Although I don't think this is the most critical short term
feature on the menu, designing an interface that couldn't
support it could be a problem down the road.

Jim Starkey