Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Proxy Query ?
Author Olivier Mascia
> Even if we go to the third model, cross-database constraints (and
> procedures, and triggers) is a problem that merits much discussion.
> How do we handle the case of access to one database when the other
> is not available? What happens if one database is moved or renamed?
> Yes, aliases help here, but I'm so used to the idea that a database
> is a single entity that putting permanent links between databases
> really bothers me.

I could not agree more on anything on earth than on this !

When someone comes to the point where such cross-database access is required
it just means the problem is ill-defined. Those multiple databases should
have been combined in a single DB ! Let me push the idea to its (stupid)
limit : let's offer a full third-model cross-database model, add a
restriction of one table per database (as you would have cross-triggers,
cross-constraints and the like you do not need anymore suport for multiple
tables in a DB, as you have all the facilities cross-DB), and call this
'dBase3000'. Should be a best-seller. :-)

Today InterBase/FireBird offers a very nice cross-database access from the
client side, through transactions (on the server side) which can span
multiple database connections. I will personally always vote that this is
well architectured, simple, usefull and enough for the occasionnal cases
where a cross-database workflow should occur.

Olivier Mascia, om@...
T.I.P. Group S.A., www.tipgroup.com

We may not always have answers,
though we're seldom short of ideas ;-)