Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Updatable views
Author Ivan Prenosil
> From: Jason Wharton
> Another way this could be approached is to make it so that you have to
> explicitly turn on the default view update processing.
> CREATE VIEW blah
> FOR UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE
> AS
> BEGIN

I am not sure I understand you right.

Are you saying that _each_ view should be read-only by default,
unless you explicitly allow default processing ?
It would break most existing applications and basic SQL standard conformance.

Or do you mean that views _with_ triggers should be read-only
unless you explicitly allow default processing ?
It would also break many existing applications and seems too complicated to me.
Just by looking at CREATE VIEW command you would not be able to say
whether it will do default processing or not.

IMO all we need is possibility to turn off default processing
for simple views.

Ivan
http://www.volny.cz/iprenosil/interbase