Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Trigger Classes
Author Jim Starkey
At 09:09 PM 10/23/01 +0200, Martijn Tonies wrote:
>Hi Jim,
>
>coming to this, is there an easy way to implement deactivation of
>constraints? I believe (haven't looked into the source of FB) that (almost)
>all constraints are enforced by triggers, right?

I could probably to made to by creating the implicit triggers with
known classes. Probably would be a good idea.

Netfrastructure, incidentally, while supporting (and using, heavily)
primary and foreign keys, does not enforce referential integrity
for a couple of reasons. First, good programs (and Netfrastructure
programs are good or I won't let them at it) check that stuff as
a matter of good person hygiene, so having the system repeat the
check is a waste of time (though admittedly cache hits). Second,
there are many cases where the index required would be grotesquely
horrible (many, many duplicates).

So, t'were it up to me, I toss in some DDL system to turn off
referential integrity check on a key by key basis. Which would
also probably obviate the need to deactivate constraints.

So yes, may be, and no. May I be more obtuse?

Jim Starkey