Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Re: Nailing down the external file problem.
Author Mauricio Longo
Hi,

Dmitry I understand your preocupation with such a scenario, however, I'm not
sure what you seem to wish is a feasable implementation for a database
server. I can't say how Oracle treats such things but take MS SQL Server
for example...

The system administrator (SA) has unlimited power in the system. He has
total control of HIS server. I don't know if people would like to have
databases in their servers over which they do not have control. This could
pose a problem for specially designed backup routines and maintnance
procedures ffor which the administrator would be totally dependant on a 3rd
party.

I know many people have wished for this kind of thing, when distributing
client/server applications which implement part of it's logic in triggers
and stored procedures. Perhaps an alternative could be the ability of the
owner of the object to have an option to specify at creation that it's
source script cannot be extracted (for SPs and triggers), after all, it is
the client's data that is in the database. He should have access to it, but
not necessarily to your logic.

Best regards,

Mauricio Longo