Subject RE: [IB-Architect] new idea/proposition.
Author Ungod
with a lifetime history scenario, the database would optimize for both
situations as it would be getting hits to both the "pumping transactions"
and for the "batch".

--
Ungod (W.King)
www.bytamin-c.com
www.magick.tm
I found the answer, now where'd I put that problem...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Starkey [mailto:jas@...]
Sent: Thursday, 20 July 2000 12:52 AM
To: IB-Architect@egroups.com; IB-Architect
Subject: Re: [IB-Architect] new idea/proposition.

At 04:25 PM 7/19/00 +1000, Ungod wrote:
> I'd like to
>propose for discussion an addition to the engine to over time gather a
>history of the most used order by's and the most used where criteria to
>create either an "automatic indexing" feature or even just a "what are the
>best indexes i should use on this dataset". over time, being history based
>of course, it would refine itself the more the database gets used.
>Thoughts? Comments?

It's an idea that a take out of the closet every decade or so, ponder,
and put back in the closet. A schema to log record selection expressions
and related cardinalities for offline analysis is certainly feasible.

The standard answer, however, is the following scenario: Monday through
Friday the database observers itself pumping transactions and decides
to reorganize itself Friday night. Saturday the week end batch streams
start, optimized for pumping transactions and pessimized for batch.
Sunday night, the database realizes it has made a dreadful mistakes
and re-organizes itself optimized for batch and pessimized for
transactions. Sigh. Can't win. Database gives up the automatic
optimization, marries a web server, and retires to the Bahama to drive
illegal web gambling.

Jim Starkey