Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Open Letter
Author Claudio Valderrama C.
Dear Inprise management people:

Running a medium company is no joke and nobody ask you to make miracles.
However, we have seen enough Interbase woes and rumours. Please, try to stop
this circus soon.

Thanks to God you decided to let Cobalt Networks ship their products with
Interbase. But certainly the extension of the Interbase license up to the
next year produces any kind of paranoid conjectures about the future of
Interbase.

As an user of Borland products since the first versions of Turbo Pascal and
"classic" Borland C++ and ODAPI (now the dying BDE), I'm used to your
tradition of dropping products (Turbo Prolog, OBX or whatever other name it
had that I don't remember, Intrabuilder, etc.) and let us in the dust, with
a broken product and a gun in the drawer. And I should be so silly that I
still rely on Borland. Throughout the world, developers like me and VARs
face the challenge of suggesting Borland products against the obvious
preference of companies for Microsoft products. In exchange, we get fuzzy
press articles and a weak promise from Borland's CEO that Interbase issues
*might* be resolved in a few weeks more. If you want all of us developers to
migrate to Microsoft or Oracle or IBM, just tell us and we will understand!

Don't you find ironic that you had too much hurry to meet Delphi 4's
timeline and indeed you were in time but with a buggy product that needed 3
patches to be productive, whereas now, you're facing Interbase, a
ready-to-go product that is tied by intricate legal issues? When the secret
plan to kill Interbase had its final stage on December 17 last year, Anders
Ohlsson made me laugh with his statement that "we won't stop Interbase".
Borland said the same four years ago, "we won't kill OWL" and a few months
after, one of the best C++ commercial libraries (OWL) was buried without
explanations, forever.

I always have had the naive impression that Borland was ran by the CEO but
it seems that it's being ran by the lawyers. They take all the time they
want and they decide on strategic issues. Simply incredible. I'm starting to
think that there's an error in the latest beta license for Interbase and
that instead of year 2001, it should be year 2010. While lawyers are
responsible of saving the company with carefully worded documents, almost
all of them are really ignorant on SW issues and more even on Open Source
initiatives, including the ones that work for SW companies.

You have used and abused the fact that the community relies heavily on Jim
Starkey, Ann Harrison and Paul Beach to build confidence on veteran
Interbase users and also on newcomers that are informed that the Interbase
creator is involved in the future of the product. The first Borland
announcement about turning Interbase open source made the shares to
skyrocket. But if you attempt a second announcement with a fake release date
or continue treating us like children that need candy to stay quiet, I'm
sure the stock will go down this time. Simply put, we the developers are
tired of waiting and there are end-user customers waiting behind us. You are
defeating a natural technological and monetary chain with your delays. You
are hurting the credibility of small and medium SW companies that trusted
your June, 30 timeline for kinobi to be released and that now they find
unable to deliver their products based on kinobi. You are hurting Borland's
prestige, already damaged with the Corel fiasco. Each time we need to answer
and calm down our customers' fears about the viability of Borland and you
seem to not care.

Excuse me if I used offensive words. English is not my native language. But
even so, I think that Bill Gates deserves to be even richer than he is:
Microsoft may produce mediocre SW, but they don't kick their loyal and
long-time customers as Borland uses to behave.

Greetings.

Claudio.
---------
Claudio Valderrama C.
Ingeniero en Informática - Consultor independiente
http://members.tripod.com/cvalde