Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Faster DB Backups, WAS Super-transactions and Incremental Backup
Author Leyne, Sean
Markus,

Thanks for the comments.

But along with improving the performance of the existing restore
process, I, quite honestly, want to see if the whole backup/restore
approach can be re-thought.

What I'm thinking of is something like a DB "image" so that a "snapshot"
can be taken and then restored without the "need" to rebuild the

Disk space is now cheap so that storing the indexes in the backup should
not be an "expensive". This approach could significantly increase the
speed of a restore.

But the, hopefull, goal of the "image" backup and restore (which would
NOT replace GBAK for ODS changes or transportable backups) would be
stream the database pages to disk on a block/page by block/page basis
rather than the current row by row. Each page would be "cleaned" by the
engine to only contain data in the 'context' of the backup
transaction/snap shot.

This approach would require adding a completely new set of functions to
the engine.

It's an idea, not completely baked right now but hopefully something
worth further discussion / brainstorming.

Sean