Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Super-transactions and Incremental Backup
Author Doug Chamberlin
At 6/20/00 05:30 PM (Tuesday), Jim Starkey wrote:
>But let me repeat my question. Why do you need to preserve the records at
>the "freeze point"? Assuming the rest of the problems have solutions, the
>records that exist at the freeze points are the only records you don't
>need to produce an incremental backup. What is the gain in trying to
>preserve them?

How else can you do a backup of the database state at the time of the
freeze point? I'm assuming the creation of the freeze point and the backing
up of the database as of that point are not connected and could be done
days apart.

I suppose the records could be reconstructed but that would mean any delta
records would just have to be preserved. I thought it would be easier to
just preserve what was already there.