Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Messaging API
Author Leyne, Sean
Jan,

To my mind, you are describing the MSMQ/MQ Series messaging platforms.
Since these products already exist, IB shouldn't try to duplicate them.

Based on Jim's outline of the API, I have conceived of an IB
Message/MSMQ gateway/broker program which could run on the IB server.
This message broker would accept all the IB messages and be able to feed
the messages into appropriate queue(s). These queues which would/could
be a secure persistent (if you want) message, with guaranteed delivery.
The MSMQ functions (I know about these) already provide a callback
function to provide immediate client notification of new message, as
well as Peek (read but don't delete from queue) and Read (read and
delete) functions/methods. Using the broker, the only IB client
receiving messages would be the message broker, all clients would
"register" with the broker and receive message via the queues.

What Jim has proposed seems a very reason and workable solution, which
"leverages" the existing event concepts. It provides basic (and pretty
complete) messaging requirements which, as I have outlined, be coupled
with other technology depending on the needs of the clients/application.
I am, though, working on a couple of small suggestions.

Jason, I know your listening, what you have proposed (so far) appears to
rely to heavily on a "twine and bailing wire" quilt of DB tables (with
unique constraint) and the existing Event mechanism. While, I'm sure
you could make it "work", to the "impartial" third-party it seems an
ugly, ugly, ugly mess. I look forward, though, to seeing your update
design.

Sean